In an effort to compile the ultimate complete one-pot meal, I present to you my Chicken, Andouille, and Kale Stew. I’ve sampled quite a few stews during my time, and what I have for you today is the resultant final product of my favorite bits and pieces of the various stews I’ve sampled.
Seeing that we’re still deeply in the throws of winter (it’s cold and snowing as I write this) I can’t think of a better meal to warm you up and satisfy you on a chilly evening.
Allow yourself roughly 20 minutes of prep time in the morning and allow your slow cooker to do the rest of the work!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, diced
- 1-1.5 pounds chicken thighs, diced
- 8-12 ounces andouille sausage or chicken andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 – 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, roughly chopped
- 3-4 cups chicken stock or chicken bone broth
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in the order listed above into a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.